Early on a Saturday we make the trek down to Scottsboro, Alabama.  Last tri of the year, but this was special as I was speaking to all those taking to the starting line.  We tested the equipment and went on a quick run with our good buddy Andrew Shanks.  After we felt good about our equipment, we settled in for a short rest at the hotel and waited on our friend John David and his entire family.  I was pretty excited to have them all there and words don't describe the thanks I felt with them.  John David has long been a friend and it always brings joy to see him by our side on race morning.

In my speech I spoke of the gifts that we have and no matter how small the gift we should all share those.  For me a simple gesture of opening a door can make the world of difference in my day.  The group in Alabama was an incredibly warm group and as I spoke to the group I was already looking forward to a fun day racing with everyone.
Delivering remarks to racers of Goosepond 70.3

Raceday started at 4:45am...cold and dark, I settle into my thoughts. Upon our arrival, we assemble our equipment and prepare for the day ahead.  There was a piercing coolness to the day but I was ready for what was before us.   JD and his nephew Martin pump our kayak and Brent pulled on his wetsuit.  As the horn sounds, Brent lurches forward and I feel the boat move swiftly in the water.  We were moving quick today.  Maybe Brent didn't want the cold water on him much more than I needed that wind blowing in my face.  Either way I was screaming my head off at him.  No sense in slowing down now...
No time for sight seeing today :)
A quick transition was aided by sherpas Dad and JD and then we were off on the bike. The wind was in my face as we turned through the Alabama country roads.  My legs got tight, my back started to ache.  Should we stop? What are we doing? "Brent how many more miles??" He lets me know it is a mere 20 miles...We all face the challenges of the day and together we all must get to the other side of the mountain.  Brent was working hard and I wanted to work harder.  I urged him on and fought through the barriers of my own.  As we neared the transition I was proud of how hard we worked and knew I had learned another lesson as we race more and more. 
Saying hey to friends with our great escorts for the day!
The run was difficult as well as the cold never really let up.  I knew we needed to stay positive and once on the run we had friends and family all over.  Plus the other racers were great energy to keep us going.  As we made our way over the course John David and his family pulled up alongside us and offered us some warm food.  Yep french fries and hamburger :) I think I know a new fuel source for those longer races and those salty fries were some of the best food I have ever tasted...well at least 6 hrs into a good race. 
As we raced along I kept thinking of positive thoughts.  I asked more of my body and more of Brent to get us across the line.  This was no easy day but as we approached the finish I knew we had earned it!  We finished in 7hrs 18mins making it a terrific end to a great weekend. I would like to thank the people of Scottsboro for their unbelievable hospitality and generosity as well as all the positive things they had to say about the foundation. To our three escorts on the bike... I don't know how to thank you enough.  To JD and his wife, their children, his mother and cousin thank you for all the support.  It gives us all the more reason to push through.  To Dad for being there all day to make sure we were taken care of a thousand thanks!!
We have a great November in store and hope to share our gifts with many of you!

All the best!